John Bennett was born in Derby and is a member of the Bidyadanga community, located on the remote lands of Karajarri country between the Indian Ocean and the Great Sandy Desert in the Kimberley region of Western Australia.
The Kimberley is one of the most remote and awe inspiring regions on the planet, known for its majestic landscape and the unique boab trees, some of which are over 1000 years old.
The region now has a powerful voice that speaks of the beauty of the land and sea that surround a remote aboriginal community and the wonderful characters that populate it.
John Bennett is a quiet and modest man with a rich, deep, pure voice. His songs capture the heart and the soul of his people and their deep connection with the land.
His Father is from the desert area and Mother a saltwater person. His family, his people & their culture fill his stories and songs, which are sung in English with references to his native language – Karajarri.
At the age of 15, John picked up his first guitar and began to teach himself how play and write music. He would practice his music with community members on the verandah or while hunting for Wangkaja (mud crab) John’s songs and music are drawn from the very fabric of his everyday life; drawn from and shaped by the people he loves and his respect for his culture and deep-rooted connection to the land. His family and children are a powerful force throughout the album.
He sings with passion about the wild country and the peaceful waters he is surrounded by, his much loved local community football team and even the hardships of not having any money.
His songs offer a unique insight into John Bennett’s world: a journey into the remote and beautiful North West part of Australia. Songs full of yearning, too be home with his people and celebrations of important people in his life.
Past performances include: Boyup Brook Music Festival, Nannup Music Festival, TOO SOLID Music Festival, Shinju Music Festival plus many more.
- Winner | WA Country Music awards - Album of the Year 2013.
- Winner | WA Country Music awards - Songwriters award Long Way Home 2012.
- Winner | WAMi awards - WA Song of the Year Wangkaja 2011.
- Winner | Next Big Thing - APRA Song Writing award 2009.
- Finalist | WA Country Music awards - Best Male Artist 2012 & 2013.
- Finalist | WA Country Music awards - Single of the Year Wangkaja 2013.
- Finalist | WAMi awards - WA Indigenous Artist of the Year 2011 & 2012.
- Finalist | Deadly awards - Male Artist of the Year 2011 & 2012.
- Finalist | National Indigenous Music awards (NIMA's) - Song of the Year Wangkaja 2012.